If a loved one has died and you believe it may have been because of negligence, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Medical Claim Legal can help you resolve this kind of case.
Legally speaking, a wrongful death is when you can prove that someone else is responsible for a person’s death. This is a civil case, not a criminal one like murder and manslaughter. Here is a closer look at the differences of these cases:
- Wrongful death lawsuit – a civil lawsuit brought against someone or a company by a survivor for the intentional or unintentional action causing another person’s death. This civil action has no bearing on a criminal charge that may have been filed for the same event. A winning lawsuit results in financial payments to the plaintiff.
- Murder trial – a criminal lawsuit brought against someone by the state and may result in incarceration. In a murder trial, the prosecutor has to prove “beyond a reasonable doubt” that the defendant committed the crime at hand. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the plaintiff has to prove that the defendant is likely responsible for the death.
- Manslaughter criminal trial– legally handled similar to a murder trial. The only difference is that in a manslaughter case, there was no planning or aforethought in the crime. The trial may still result in jail time and has the same burden of proof that a murder trial does.
Examples of Wrongful Death Lawsuits
There are many different wrongful death actions; therefore, the examples of these lawsuits vary:
- Father of son shot and killed by Chicago Police has filed a lawsuit against the city of Chicago
- Family of WVU student killed in hazing accident has filed suit against the University
- Alabama grandmother filing suit against the Department of Human Resources after her 1-year old granddaughter died in car crash
The common factor in these examples is that the plaintiff believes someone else was at fault for the death of his or her loved one.
Why Medical Claim Legal is Your Best Choice for Help
Medical Claim Legal’s experienced team of lawyers can make sure you get the financial compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation so we can start the legal process for you.
MedicalClaimLegal, simplifying the process for Wrongful Death settlements